Virgin America (Travel)



So I finally tried Virgin America for the first time...I've had a passport and have been traveling since I was 6 months old, but this was my first time on Virgin and I gotta say....I really loved my flights.

Despite being in economy, the black leather seats which have a 32" pitch and a width of 17.7" were pretty cushy, roomy and comfortable. For reference, I am 5' 4" and while a woman never divulges her weight, I do have meat on my bones but was still really comfortable in my seat (not the best picture, but see below). 
You can also check out the cabin on Virgin's website using google street view: https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/seatview/jfk-new-york-ny.html

I also really loved the cushy headrest, which cradled my head nicely. Usually I just sit up straight on flights and don't rest my head, unless I'm on a long haul international flight and have a pillow, but I actually put my head back and got comfortable.

Now I haven't been on EVERY single carrier in the world, but of the carriers I have tried Virgin is probably by far the most comfortable in my opinion and definitely my new found favorite in terms of economy seats. They get two thumbs up from me. I also loved their signature mood lit cabin, but once you're in the air the mood lighting goes away so no worries if you want to snooze.

For people in economy, everything is pretty much on demand...meaning you need to pay to get it. In terms of drinks and snacks, aside from the complimentary drink, everthing was on demand for my flight...but I was on a very short flight between LA and Vegas which is only 40 mins long so not a big deal, but still on other airlines we would get a variety of drinks to choose from along with some basic biscuit type cookie.

My evening flight had a better variety of drinks to choose from, but my morning flight simply offered a couple types of alcohol, orange juice, and water. That was it. You couldn't even get anything else on demand if you wanted to, but I think it was just my particular flight that morning though...or it could just be that way for all morning flights? Again, my first time on Virgin so I can't say for sure, but they did apologize and say that was all they were able to offer on that flight that morning so I'm inclined to say my flight was an exception...but don't quote me on that.

Surprisingly, even though it was an early 8AM flight there were still people who chose alcohol. Do people really drink that early in the morning? Not judging...actually the fact that I brought it up and even mentioned it probably means that I am maybe just a teeny bit judging, but not like judging judging...because my philosophy is whatever floats your boat as long as you're not hurting yourself or others, but that was just surprising to me. Probably because I have no tolerance for alcohol and do not drink whatsoever so I'm fascinated by people who can drink like nobody's business or all day long. For me the asian glow is real and I have it real bad...on top of getting sick and just passing out. Anywho, I get off topic.

As for actuals meals and whatnot, I haven't tried a longer haul flight, so I can't really comment on the food, but I would rather have a nice roomier comfy seat than a little packet of cookies so if that's the trade off I'll gladly take it.

Like I said, everything is pretty much on demand in economy so even beyond the snacks if you want to watch movies and TV shows...the good stuff, they do have some free stuff but if you want the mainstream good stuff or wifi you're gonna have to purchase it...unless you're up front in first class. I believe it's complimentary up there...I think.

Now for the lounge...

While waiting for my flight at LAX, being a priority pass member, I got to check out the Virgin America Loft...their lounge in Terminal 3 which was a lot smaller than expected. Luckily it was pretty empty while I was there so despite the fact that the lounge was small it was still quiet and nice, but if it were a lot busier I can imagine it would get crowded and loud quite easily (video below).

They had nice comfy seats and I loved having free wifi. While they had some bare minimum snack selections like a couple cereals and some cookies, a bowl of fruit to pick through, and some biscotti and saltines I found it lacking...but just like the whole on demand thing during the flight, you can order some food on demand in the lounge if you're willing to pay, but I found it to be a bit expensive and again not a lot of variety. Here's a copy of the menu from their website (number to the left are prices)...

I mean it sounds yummy...like the Turkey Chipotle Sandwich or the Orecchiette Pasta Salad, but I don't know that I would want to pay $12 for that at a lounge.

Lastly, there didn't seem to be a ton of outlets for recharging my electronics.

Still, all in all, it was a nice place to relax and hangout. Much better than being out by the gate for sure especially since it wasn't crowded, but it wasn't as spectacular as I was expecting it to be...but then again I should probably stop watching those travel vlogs on YouTube that showcase those extravagant and luxurious international lounges so I can better manage my expectations, but regardless I still enjoyed my stay. Nice big comfy chair and free wifi in a not so crowded place? I was golden. Next time I'll just buy some food in the terminal and bring it with me into the lounge. Not a big deal.

References...
1. Virgin America site

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon

Back
to top