Fitness Journey - Week 1 (Health)



Hi guys!
If you saw my symptoms post: https://ahnspired.blogspot.com/2018/10/my-symptoms-hashimotos-hypothyroidism.html than you got a glimpse into what a struggle my weight has been for me...but now that my thyroid levels have finally normalized, my endocrinologist said that I should be able to finally start losing the weight...and now that my energy levels are up and I'm sleeping well and I have been feeling good, I wanted to start my fitness journey...and of course I wanted to share and bring you along with me.

As of right now my starting weight is 230 lbs. The biggest that I've ever been and I can feel it, so I can't wait to get fit and lose the weight and be healthy. After all the troubles that I went through this year...I know it's cliche, but there really is nothing more important than being healthy, and to be healthy one needs to not only eat well but also get in that exercise...get that heart pumping and the blood flowing.

Plus, the thyroid issues and my weight put me at higher risk for other things like diabetes and high blood pressure and I'm not looking to have any more health complications than I already have. My levels are still in the normal range, but they are at the very top end of normal, so I need to reign it in. Also, keeping a log of my journey and sharing it with you all on this blog will help to keep me motivated and accountable...so I plan to do a post updating you guys on my progress every week.



Here are my stats for week 1...the start of my journey.

Day 1 - Saturday, October 27th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Hiking/Walking at Whitney Mesa (Upper Trail)

Thoughts: Surprisingly, not as out of shape as I thought I would be. Last year I was struggling taking multiple breaks at Whitney Mesa, but I had a really nice easy breezy hike/walk at Whitney Mesa this morning.

Of course I was severely anemic and had untreated hypothyroidism last year, which is what was making exercise so difficult unbeknownst to me, but still...after a year and a half of not exercising and hibernating and my body having gone through what it did, I was expecting to be EXTREMELY out of shape. I thought that I was going to have to slowly build up my stamina and endurance, but apparently I was wrong.

What a world of difference it makes not being anemic anymore and having a normalized thyroid. Of course this isn't a difficult trail by any means, but still it does have a nice incline at the start of the trail and some minor dips along the way, but I had no issues getting up that incline. I didn't even have to take a break or anything and while my heartbeat was elevated, it was within a normal exercise heartbeat range...it wasn't crazy off the charts elevated like it was last year, so I am off to a great start!

Day 2 - Sunday, October 28th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Hiking at City View Trail

Thoughts: After my workout went so well yesterday, I decided to push myself just a bit further to see how my body responded...hence I went to City View Trail. It's still an easy trail, but this one has a steady incline of switchbacks the whole way up compared to Whitney Mesa that just has an incline at the beginning and is pretty level the rest of the way aside from some minor dips, so I wanted to test out my body on the steady incline and again it did surprisingly well.

It wasn't until I was about 90% up the trail that I had to slow down and take a break. My heart rate was really good up until that point too...but then it was starting to go crazy...hence I stopped to take a quick water break even though the end was in sight, but before that I was breezing up that trail and even though my heart rate started to spike it recovered quickly once I stopped for a quick water break...and of course going downhill is always easy, so I made really good time.

Last time I was there...I think it was like May or June of last year, I struggled...a lot. I took so many breaks along the way and I was moving like a turtle, but what a difference having a balanced body makes.

Day 3 - Monday, October 29th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Walking at Cornerstone Park

Thoughts: Another great workout on the books. Since it's a weekday, kept it simple with a normal walk. There is a little hill at the park, so I tried to keep it a bit more interesting by going up and down the hill several times as well as a set of stairs at the park (hence I still have 15 flights of stairs reflected in the Fitbit stats), but it's a pretty flat terrain with cement and asphalt trails, so very easy and walkable.

Differences I noticed today from where I was last year were that it took me less time time to complete the loop and I didn't really take water breaks. I only stopped to take a drink once when I was going up and down the stairs and the hill...whereas last year I was chugging water the whole time.

Day 4 - Tuesday, October 30th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Hiking/Walking at Whitney Mesa (Upper Trail)

Thoughts: Went back to Whitney Mesa for my workout and I ended up having to take some shortcuts and sprinted some of the way because a last minute work thing came up and I had to get back forcing me to cut my workout short...but just by a little bit.

I still did the majority of the trail...probably about 85%, so I still got in a good amount of exercise. While I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was, I definitely am out of shape...evidenced by the sprinting I was trying to do. I was able to sprint a couple times in one minute intervals, but I knew it wasn't going to be sustainable hence I ended up taking shortcuts, so I wouldn't be late heading back.

I was hoping I would be able to just run the rest of the way, so I could 100% complete the whole trail, but missing out on 15% is not a big deal...still a great workout.

Day 5 - Wednesday, October 31st, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Walking around the neighborhood

Thoughts: Took it easy today with an easy stroll through my neighborhood. My mornings are usually pretty flexible through the week with the exception of Wednesdays, which is my early start day, so I will probably keep it simple on Wednesdays with a jaunt around my home.

I still got in a solid 2 mile walk...well 1.95 miles to be exact, but pretty much 2 miles this morning and it was nice having a relaxed exercise session. Instead of having a rest day, I'll probably just use Wednesdays as my take it easy/relaxing stroll days.

Day 6 - Thursday, November 1st, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Hiking/Walking at Whitney Mesa (Upper Trail)

Thoughts: I had a doctor's appointment this morning, so I didn't get a chance to workout until later in the day...I went during my lunch break and I never thought I would say this, but I much prefer working out in the mornings. The crisp morning air, the friendly people also out and about working out, getting my endorphins and juices flowing for the day and working out on an empty stomach so I'm light on my feet and it gets me hungry and ready for breakfast.

Before now, I have never been a morning person...or a breakfast person. If I had it my way, the day would begin at noon. I would always workout in the evenings after work or on the weekends in the afternoon after a lazy morning of sleeping in, but today I had no choice but to get in a later workout because I had to go the eye doctor this morning, then there was traffic from the freeway being shutdown for some reason, then there was crazy traffic due to an accident and it took me forever to get back home. What should've taken 15 minutes ended up taking a little over an hour for me to get back from the doctors.

Also, I got really hungry sitting in traffic...like ravenously hungry, so I pulled into a McDonalds and got a couple breakfast burritos with a hash brown, which is totally not gluten and diary free, but I was hangry and wanted something I could eat while "driving" stuck in traffic, so I got it and ate it. By the time lunchtime rolled around and I went for my workout though, I wasn't feeling the greatest. The unhealthy breakfast probably had a lot to do with how I was feeling. I did not feel light on my feet and was feeling kind of sluggish. Also, it was later in the day and the sun was up and shinning and it was hotter and I felt like I just struggled a bit more trying to get this workout in.

I didn't take any breaks, but I was walking like a turtle up that incline and the first 1/3 of the way...but then my muscles started warming up and the endorphins started flowing and I think the walking was also getting my digestive system going and starting to digest the McDonalds that was sitting like a rock in my stomach from a few hours earlier, so I started feeling better and not so heavy and sluggish as I was and the further I got along in my workout the better I was feeling. By the time I was done I felt really good and was ready for a light and healthy lunch. Sadly, gluten and dairy definitely don't agree with me.

Even though I wasn't feeling the best after my gluten and dairy filled breakfast, I'm glad I still got myself out there to get in my workout for the day. It definitely helped turn things around.

Day 7 - Friday, November 2nd, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Walking around the neighborhood

Thoughts: Was feeling a bit lazy and wanted to take it easy, so I went for a stroll around the neighborhood on the flat even cement surface sidewalk. I've been having feet pain...especially my right foot, so I wanted to take it easy. I do have flat feet and a short achilles heel, so feet pain is something that I struggle with when I'm trying to be good about consistently working out. Normally people with flat feet are generally fine and asymptomatic, but being overweight probably puts a lot more extra weight and pressure on my feet and ankles and I've been doing a lot of walking/hiking this past week, so that's probably why. Cardiovascular fitness wise I'm fine, but the arches and heel of my feet really hurt particularly my right foot and it's trying to hinder my workouts.

I did get my exercise in for the day, so I'll probably take it easy the rest of the day and just keep trying to stretch it out and maybe do a foot soak later tonight, but I did it! First week is done and I can already notice/feel a difference. I have really poor posture, but I feel like I'm siting and standing a bit taller than I used to. I'm not so hunched over. Also, I just feel really good...aside from my foot pain of course. Maybe I should get some compression socks. Anywho, that's it for Week one...on to week two!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon

Back
to top