Inspired Adventures - Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim


The last time I was here was about 13 years ago in 2003, but I don't have any of my pictures and videos from that trip because my digital camera was stolen (after I got back home) before I got a chance to transfer all the files to my computer, so I've been really wanting to go back and recapture the magic of the Grand Canyon...and just because I LOVE this place and any chance to go I will gladly take. There is just something so serene and freeing and amazing and magical about this place. The majestic grandeur of the canyons just leaves you in complete awe and wonder.

The last time I was there the weather was beautiful, but this time around we had some major inclement weather. There was a terrible thunderstorm that came and went pretty much the whole time. There were brief moments where it let up or there was just light drizzling which is when we took advantage and explored, but there wasn't a lot of exploration time overall which was a bummer...but it was kind of cool to see it while it was all gloomy and moody outside. It had a different feel to it and I honestly didn't really mind the rain, but that lightening and thunder was crazy and kind of scary. I wish I could've gotten footage of the lightening, but alas I valued my safety first.

I did get some video of the crazy lightening on my drive back home...that storm started on our drive to the Grand Canyon, lasted through our stay at the Grand Canyon, and followed us on our way back home from the Grand Canyon...but seeing it from indoors in safety was cool. I haven't seen or been in a thunderstorm like that in a long time.

I really wanted to go explore Cape Royal this time around since I didn't get to the last time, but due to the inclement weather I stuck to the main trail around the lodge. Regardless I still enjoyed what time I did have to admire my wondrous surroundings...which the pictures and videos below DO NOT do it justice. I miss it already and can't wait to go back again...which hopefully it doesn't take me another thirteen years to go back this time.


PARK INFO
Unique combinations of geologic color and erosional forms decorate a canyon that is 277 river miles (446km) long, up to 18 miles (29km) wide, and a mile (1.6km) deep. Grand Canyon overwhelms our senses through its immense size.

The North Rim

Averaging 8000 feet/ 2438 m above sea level, rises 1000 feet/ 305 m higher than the South Rim, and because of its remote location, is less accessible than the South Rim.



Even in good weather the North Rim is harder to get to. It is 220 miles (354 km) by car from the South Rim, or 21 miles (34 km) by foot across the canyon by way of the North and South Kaibab Trails.



Download our Trip Planning "Newspaper" as a PDF file here. (Includes information and maps for both rims and the inner canyon.) Translated Versions in 7 languages here.



Entrance Fees
Admission to Grand Canyon National Park is for seven days and includes both the North Rim and South Rim. No refunds are given due to inclement weather.

Grand Canyon National Park Vehicle Permit - $30.00 (U.S. Dollars)

Admits one single, private, non-commercial vehicle and all its passengers. Organized groups are not eligible for the vehicle permit.

Grand Canyon National Park Motorcycle Permit - $25.00 (U.S. Dollars)


Admits one single, private, non-commercial motorcycle and its passenger(s).

Grand Canyon National Park Individual Permit - $15.00/person (U.S. Dollars)

Admits one individual when entering by foot, bicycle, park shuttle bus, Grand Canyon Railway and private rafting trip. Individuals 15 years old and younger are admitted free of charge.

Where can I buy a Grand Canyon National Park Entrance Permit?


NPS North Rim Entrance Station: checks and credit cards.
NPS South Entrance Station: checks, credit cards, and cash.
NPS Desert View Entrance Station: checks, credit cards, and cash


The North Rim has a Short Season
Lodging, restaurants and shops are open May 15 through Oct. 15, 2016 each year.

A worthwhile trip for those who enjoy the road less traveled, the North Rim, or "other side" of the Grand Canyon is visited by only 10% of all Grand Canyon visitors.

- The North Rim is over 8000 feet/2438 m. in elevation


- There is one lodge, the Grand Canyon Lodge, and one campground operated by the NPS

Reservations for Lodging and Camping are highly recommended.

During winter months, the North Rim is closed due to snow.


Visitors Center & Trails
The North Rim Visitor Center, located adjacent to the parking lot for Grand Canyon Lodge and Bright Angel Point, provides park and regional information, maps, brochures, exhibits, 
and a bookstore.


The visitor center is open May 15 through October 15 from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm daily. Interpretive ranger programs are offered daily during the season.

Public restrooms and outdoor exhibits are located in back of the building.




Now for the pictures!!!

































































































































More pics still pending...


References...
1. NPS link above

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon

Back
to top