Fitness Journey - Week 5 (Health)



Hi guys!
I'm here with week five of my fitness journey and it's been a week of improvements, both in terms of fitness and weight loss...the numbers on the scale are finally starting to budge.

Speaking of which, here are my current body stats.

I use a Renpho smart scale (purchased off of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1UX8RW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1), which spits out all of these stats. Not sure how accurate it is, but it gives me a general idea of where I stand and how I'm progressing so...yeah.

I don't have any stats from when I started my journey, other than my weight...I came in at 230 lbs at the doctor's office, so I'm using that as my jumping off point meaning that I'm currently 3 lbs down, which may not seem like a lot...3 lbs in the span of 5 weeks, but to me it is, especially since I feel like it's 3 lbs of fat that I lost and not water weight or muscle mass. I say this because for the entire first month the numbers on the scale did not budge even though my body's been shrinking this whole time, which reminds me...I should probably also do measurements of my body and keep track of that as well.

Anywho, I have felt a huge difference in my actual body. Not only do my clothes fit differently and better, clothes that were too tight before actually fit now and clothes that did fit me are now baggier and looser, but also my thighs don't rub together like they used to, my tummy is a bit flatter, my love handles have gone down a lot and my back and arm fat seem to have trimmed down in addition to my boobs, which also seems to have shrunk down a little bit as well. Also, my body as a whole just feels lighter...I'm much lighter on my feet than I was and these are all changes that started and continued to take place little by little during the first month despite the fact that the scale was stuck at 230 lbs, which leads me to believe that I've been losing actual fat.

In addition to the physical changes, I've also started to see improvements in my fitness as well...as you'll see in my updates below. My natural pace seems to have improved to a new normal, inclines aren't as hard as they were when I first started and it takes less time for me to recover after exerting myself...my recovery time has improved a lot. I still have a long way to go of course, but it's so exciting to see actual changes taking place.

Anywho, here are my stats for the week...

Day 29 - Saturday, November 24th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day


Workout Stats

Today's Exercise: Hiking/Walking at Whitney Mesa (Upper Trail)

Thoughts: After a lazy morning of lounging in bed, I finally got my butt up, ate breakfast, got ready and headed out to good ole Whitney Mesa for my daily workout. My legs were feeling good as was my body and I had a great workout. I could feel the burn in my hamstrings and glutes on the incline, but there was no tightness or cramping today, so I felt like I made pretty good time too...but my Fitbit seems to have had a bit of a glitch, so it only clocked me as having walked 1.94 miles. There are mile markers on the trail, so I know at the very least I should've clocked 2.5 miles for my workout, although I went even further, all the way to the end of the spur trail, so it should've been even more, but for some reason it didn't register the correct mileage.

I think it's just the mileage though because the time keeping was correct (I knew what time I started and stopped) and the steps walked seemed to be consistent with past workouts, so I think it's just the mileage and therefore because of the incorrect mileage it messed up the calculations for my pace...not that it matters since I said I wasn't going to focus on the numbers and was just going to focus on the fact that I get my workouts in and how I feel...but I guess it's just human nature to want to constantly one up ourselves and get better and improve, so I kind of can't help it.

Anywho, I got in a great workout and then a little more shopping because my mom dragged me out, but when I got back home I hunkered down to continue my Harry Potter marathon. Now I'm off to get ready for bed, so I can be well rested and bright eyed and bushy tailed for tomorrow's workout.

Day 30 - Sunday, November 25th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Nothing

Thoughts: Took a rest day today. I had trouble sleeping last night and I somehow ended up oversleeping until noon, so I got a super late start to my day and just decided to take it easy and make it my rest day for the week, so I continued my Harry Potter Marathon. That was all that I did today.

Day 31 - Monday, November 26th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day


Workout Stats

Today's Exercise: Walking at Cornerstone Park

Thoughts: If you guys saw my overview/summary for Week 4: https://ahnspired.blogspot.com/2018/11/fitness-journey-week-4-health.html then you know I went to see my gynecologist this morning, so I wasn't able to go workout until my lunch break, but my lunch break had to be cut a bit short due to an errand I also had to run, so I kept it simple with a jaunt at Cornerstone Park. I could tell my fitness has definitely improved though because the little hill at the park felt like nothing today. It didn't even feel like I was going up an incline at all, so I'm excited to see how my legs fair at City View tomorrow...which is where I'm planning on going.

As far as how I was feeling today...I was tired. The whole not sleeping well all weekend long did wear on me a bit, but it was nowhere near the level that it was in Week 3 thank god. Hopefully now that I have some peace of mind I can sleep better to get back on track, but I could not stop yawning the entire day...even while I was walking at the park. I actually thought about skipping my workout, but I figured being out and about and moving would get my endorphins pumping and help to energize me, so I kept it easy by going to the park that way I was getting activity into my day, but still keeping it chill.

Day 32 - Tuesday, November 27th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day


Workout Stats

Today's Exercise: Hiking at City View Trail

Thoughts: Yeah! I actually slept through the night last night! After seeing my Gyno yesterday and getting some peace of mind I was finally able to sleep through without waking up a bunch of times.

Anywho, I went to City View today as planned for my daily workout because I wanted to get in some incline action and I'm definitely making strides because the first half of the switchbacks were actually pretty easy. Just like the little hill at the park yesterday, the switchbacks today also kinda didn't even feel like I was going up an incline, but then of course at around the halfway mark my calves started tightening up...well not so much my calves really, but the very bottom of my calves where it meets the achilles...that's where it started to tighten up and it slowed me down. Before that I was trekking up those switchbacks as if they were nothing and if it weren't for the tightening in my achilles/lower calf I probably would've booked it up to the top in record time.

I still made really good time and finished the trail faster than I ever have before, but if it weren't for the achilles/lower calf tightness I would've finished even faster...but because of the tightening I had to slow down my pace. Once I slowed down I was good...it didn't really feel like I was going up an incline. When I tried to seed up my pace again then it did feel like I was going up an incline, but when I slowed my pace down I was totally fine, so I'm getting there. Eventually down the line I want to get to a point where I can run up the switchbacks...be able to do some hill running, but that's still a ways down the road.

I don't know what it is, but I just love hiking and inclines. As torturous as they can be while you're in the midst of it, when you finally get to the top...for me I just feel so good and happy and like I can do and conquer anything...especially after tougher hikes. Not only is it great physically, but mentally as well...at least for me it is. It relieves my stress and clears my mind and after the struggle and fight to get to the top after wanting to give up, but not giving up and persevering and making it all the way...it's just so empowering for me. Not that this is a tough hike by any means, but I mean just in general. I can't wait to build up my fitness enough to tackle bigger and tougher trails and to really push myself, but you gotta take it one step at a time.

Anywho, I digress like I always do, but the point is I had a great workout and have made some nice improvements.

Day 33 - Wednesday, November 28th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day


Workout Stats

Today's Exercise: Hiking/Walking at Whitney Mesa (Upper Trail)

Thoughts: I went to bed on time and slept through the night, but I'm feeling kind of tired today. I was dragging a bit, but despite that I still made it out to Whitney Mesa for my daily workout...although it wasn't really so much a workout as it was me just strolling along and making sure I got activity into my day. My heart was definitely not in my workout today. It was more of a I should and need to do it especially since it's supposed to rain tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to get outdoors and I shouldn't go for two days without working out, so I made myself situation.

Surprisingly though my pace wasn't that bad. Not that I was walking like a turtle, but I feel like I was walking on the slower side, but I still made good time. Me being lazy today was better than me making an effort when I first started this journey during week one, so my body seems to be stronger and fitter than it was. Now that I'm a month into my journey I'm starting to notice little changes here and there.

Walking the incline today, however did feel like I was walking an incline, but I think that's because this is a steeper grade than City View...not that it's steep, but just steeper than City View. That's more of a steady continuous gradual incline, whereas Whitney Mesa has a more noticeable incline, but it's just a series of three short incline segments vs. a continuous steady incline, which is what City View is, so I definitely felt the burn in my hamstring and glutes and it did feel like I was going up an incline although my calves felt pretty good for the most part. There was a slight twinge in the achilles/lower calf area as I got near the top of the mesa, but other than that it was fine.

Oh, and my Fitbit seems to be back to functioning normally. Based on the mile markers along the trail, today's mileage seems to be accurate and on point as was the time meaning the pace was pretty accurate too. I don't know why it was sooo off on Saturday, but it seems to be back to normal, so even though it felt like I was walking slow, I guess I wasn't moving as slow as I thought I was based on my stats.

Day 34 - Thursday, November 29th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Today's Exercise: Stationary Bike

Thoughts: As expected, today was a windy and rainy and dreary day, so I did not make it outdoors to exercise...but, my dad does have a stationary bike, so I did squeeze in a quick 30 minute session on it before I went to bed.

I meant to do an hour long session on the bike earlier in the day, but I upgraded my Fitbit to the Ionic, which arrived today and I spent the entire day trying to get it set up, which btw was so frustrating. Oh my god it was so slow and glitchy and annoying trying to get the thing set up. I was almost done, but then I had to factory reset it and start all over again and it was so time consuming, but anywho that's were my day went...I literally spent hours trying to get the thing set up, which in the end I finally did, but I didn't want to end my day without any activity, so I squeezed in a half hour session on the stationary bike at 10PM.

Also, I didn't charge my Blaze since I knew my Ionic was arriving, so it ended up dying before I was able to get the Ionic up and running so I didn't get all my steps accounted for today, but I probably still would've been under my daily goal of 8K. I imagine I would've ended up around 6,500. If only I were able to get my Ionic set up quickly without any issues...then I would have had all my steps tracked and I would have gotten my workout in earlier in the day and for longer, but oh well. Tomorrow is a new day and now that I finally have my Ionic set up, I love it so much and can't wait to take it out for a spin.

Day 35 - Friday, November 30th, 2018
Fitbit Stats for the Day

Workout Stats

Today's Exercise: Hiking/Walking at Whitney Mesa (Upper Trail)

Thoughts: Yesterday was cold and rainy and dreary, but today was nice and sunny. Still cool, but not cold and the sun was out shining, so I actually got my butt out of bed on time, instead of lounging around, and made it to the trails in the morning vs. my lunchtime, which is what I had been doing lately.

Anywho, as far as my workout, I continued to feel the burn in my hamstrings and glutes on the incline, but today instead of the lower calf/achilles heel section of my leg tightening it was the inner half of my calves...so the right side of my left calf and the left side of my right calf. The outer half was fine, but the inner half was kind of tight.

Not sure why the tightness shifted to the inner calf, but as for the rest of my body, I felt pretty good...but just like on Wednesday I felt like I was walking a bit on the slower side even though I still made good time, so I think my pace has just naturally gotten faster and found a new normal, although I don't know why I keep feeling like I'm walking slow when I'm not.

At any rate, it's been a great week of improvements, so I'm just going to sign off on that positive note.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon

Back
to top